- Tell us about yourself.
My name is Keisha Johnson and I live in Tampa, Florida. I’m 46, I’m divorced and I have 3 beautiful daughters. I work in banking and I’m also a college professor teaching IT courses.
- How long have you had locs and how many do you have?
My sisterlocks were installed September 2014. I’m not sure how many I have. My daughter started counting once before but gave up after 200 something. But I would say approximately over 300.
- How do you take care/wash them?
I shampoo my locs about every 2 weeks. Only shampoo and no conditioner. I don’t apply oils. There’s not much care, but I often spritz them with water. I get my locs retightened every 7 weeks.
- Do your locs have any meaning to you?
My locs give me life, I absolutely love my sisterlocks and wish I’d made this decision long ago. Also, when I decided to stop dying my gray hair black, I began to love my locs even more.
- Any issues & how do you deal with them?
I don’t have any issues with my locs. I just allow them to grow and to be free.
- How did you start them?
My locs were started by a sisterlock trainee.
- Tell us about your locs (texture, length, size). Do you think any of these attributes have impacted how you care for your locs?
I was a loose natural 3 years prior to locs, but I cant remember what hair type…maybe 4c. My hair is bra strap length. My locs are sisterlocks size small to medium. None of these attributes have not impacted my locs.
- What do you like/dislike most about having locs?
I have no dislikes at all. I love the versatility and freedom of having locs. I’m so thankful I don’t have to worry about the rain and heat ruining them… My locs thrive from water.
- How do you like to style them?
I usually wear them down or in a ponytail. I try to avoid a lot of tension especially in the temple area.
- Anything else you want to share (tips, locs, life)? Is there a way we can follow you and your endeavors on social media that you would like to share?
My advice is to be patient and trust the process. I have enjoyed every stage of my loc journey. I’m vegan and I have a very healthy diet. I strongly feel that what we eat shows on the outside.